Now I am no queen of Twitter, in fact, I haven’t even reached the 4 digit followers yet but I spend enough time on Twitter, watching, engaging,
stalking to know about the ins and outs of this social media platform. I have eight hundred and something followers who obviously might enjoy my obsessions, my rants about the “plus size fashion industry” and the links I share and I have loads of love for them because I don’t know if I would follow me.
So let’s talk about Twitter…
– Twitter is not a place to only advertise, whether it be your brand or your blog, do not only post links/specials/about your brand because that will make everyone hate you (well not really but they might subtweet and they will definitely unfollow)
– Behind every tweet is a carefully planned and curated 160 or less characters. People choose what they share so do not get caught up a “my life sucks because I don’t do/know the same things that so and so does/knows”. Social media is the cause of FOMO, life FOMO, event FOMO, materialistic FOMO, friends FOMO, everything FOMO so don’t get caught up in it. Of course there are the few who post with no filter and those accounts rock my world BUT we can’t all be brutally honest and who really want’s to hear about my doctors appointment yesterday? But the point is, just know that everything shared is carefully chosen!
– Real friendships can be made on Twitter because sometimes your Twitter friends are the only ones who understand your frustration with something or your enjoyment of blogging for example. No one in my real life circle of friends blogs so none of them really understand anything about it. In fact, many of my friends in my real life circle don’t even have Twitter so when I need to Twitter, I rely on my Twitter friends.
– Everyone has their own opinion and they are entitled to it so keep that in mind every time you tweet. There will always be those who will disagree in an asshole way, in that case, don’t even engage because then you will be an asshole too, and no one wants to follow an asshole amIright? Also, don’t be don’t be an asshole to get your message across.
– Reply, unless you have millions of followers, there is no reason why you can’t reply, whether it be today or next week, just do your best to reply. There have been so many people I enjoyed on Twitter and perhaps their blog or whatever it is they do but when they don’t reply to you like three times but engage with others in your face then I instantly dislike them. If you want to be active on Twitter then you need to take everything that comes with it, including replying to us mere mortals.
– Do not let Twitter interfere with your social life. Do not be the guy sitting around the table on his phone. Know when it is appropriate to Twitter and when it is not.
– Have fun with it, post what comes to mind, share those cool pics and links, don’t be an asshole, have your own voice and you will be just fine.