Most girls dream of having a Vera Wang gown for their wedding day – the exclusivity of wearing a Vera Wang would make the day that much greater. Buuuut we can’t all afford a Vera Wang, what we can do is look and lust after them though.
Because a wedding is a huge part of a girls life and because Vera is the most popular wedding dress designer, I have chosen her to be the subject of my new “Know your designer”
Let’s learn a bit more about her….
In 1990, she opened her own design salon in the Carlyle Hotel in New York that features her trademark bridal gowns.
1. Vera dreamed of becoming an Olympic figure skater and tried out for the USA Olympic team in 1968. When that wasn’t successful, she attended the elite Chapin School and the School of American Ballet. She then went to the Sorbonne, (Paris), then enrolled to Sarah Lawrence College (Bronxville, New York), where she earned a BA in Liberal Arts.
2.Vera worked at “Vogue” for sixteen years as their Senior Fashion Editor and was the youngest editor ever at “Vogue” Magazine. From the pages of “Vogue”, she went on to becoming a design director for Ralph Lauren.
3. Wang designed a wedding dress for Jennifer Lopez after she announced that she had picked Vera Want to design her gown when she married Ben Affleck. Vera had the dress shipped to J-Lo who then refused to pay for the dress valued at around $15,000 to $20,000 as Jennifer believed the publicity from the wedding would more than pay for the cost of the gown.
4. Vera is considered to be the most prominent wedding gown designer in America. She has been honored with the Chinese American Planning Council’s Honoree of the Year Award in 1993 and the 1994 Girl Scout Council’s Woman of Distinction Award
5. Vera has a son named Bryan who was born in 2000
6. Her book “Vera Wang on Weddings” was published in 2001 by Morrow,William and Co
7. Vera is, in fact an American – she was born on June 27, 1949 in New York, NY